Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Embarrassed by Hell

I've been reading a couple of discussions lately where Christians have had to defend the existence of Hell.  Inevitably, at some point, one or more of the defenders will feel the need to apologize for Hell or express the fact that they personally dislike it.  I can't help but wonder what God thinks of this.

Hell was His idea, after all, and to hear Him talk, He's not embarrassed in the least about it.  Jesus talked about Hell extensively while He walked the earth.  Paul's letters allude to Hell (the fate of the wicked) more times than they do Heaven (the fate of the believer).  Revelation even quotes believers and angels singing praises to God over the torment of the wicked in Hell.

So why are we so embarrassed by Hell?

A quick answer comes to mind.  Those who oppose the doctrine of Hell typically say, "I just can't believe in a God so cruel he would endlessly torture people for all eternity in Hell!  I wouldn't hold my child's hand in a fire for a second!  How can God do that to innocent people for all eternity?"  We confess our own belief in Hell a bit shamefacedly, then, because it seems we must admit that they are right.

But they're not at all.  Hell doesn't exist because God is a sadistic monster who enjoys torturing innocent people endlessly for kicks.  Hell exists because God is just and gives people the punishment they deserve.

This, I think, brings us (me at least) to another, much closer reason why we blush at the idea of Hell.  Hell confronts us with our own nature and the weight of our own sin.  To say that God sends people, even "good" people, to Hell if they don't accept the forgiveness offered through Christ and to say that God is just in doing so is to say this: that every one of us, apart from Christ, deserves Hell.  That's a rather embarrassing admission.  I'll admit that I'm not perfect.  I'll admit that I've done wrong, and that some of the things I've done are worthy of some punishment.  However, Hell seems a bit extreme!  The unquenchable fire, the darkness, the weeping and gnashing of teeth...that all seems too much.  I don't like to think that I've done anything worthy of that!

But if Hell is real and God is just, then I have.  Admitting this is important in several respects.  First, it glorifies God because it shows how good, holy, perfect, and pure He is.  God is not merely good as I might say another person is good--for I certainly don't think I deserve heinous punishment compared to such a person.  God is better.  God is so good that He makes a good person look like a selfish little monster.  Second, it glorifies God's love.  The Bible says the God loved us, loved me, while we were still sinners justly condemned to Hell.  If Hell is just the everyday troubles of this life, then that's no big deal--but if Hell is an eternity of unimaginable horrors, the God's love must be something really incredible!  Finally, it glorifies Christ's sacrifice.  If Christ's death on the cross is enough to set me free from an eternity in Hell, then it is truly the biggest and best news the world has ever seen!

So while Hell may be embarrassing to me because it openly shows the magnitude of my failings, it is glorifying to God, whose I am and whom I serve.  There is no reason for me to be ashamed of it, because it magnifies Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment