Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Consider Eternity

This week, the sermon was on 1 Corinthians 7.  The pastor said it was a very challenging passage, not just for the singles but also for the married couples in the church.  Toward the end of the sermon, he came to address verses 29-31, where he made this point: "Consider Eternity."

Whether we are married or single, we will not be so forever.  Whether we are excited or mournful, we know--as Christians--that someday we will be in Heaven.  Whether we are wealthy or poor, our souls will outlast our stuff.  This awareness should color everything we do.

I want that awareness now.  I want to ask myself every day if I would live it the same if I knew I would stand before the throne of God tomorrow.  If the answer is no--not just because of blatant sin but also frivolous use of time--should I not change my behavior?  If I do not learn to live with an awareness of eternity every day, I will come to the end of my life and find it has all been for nothing--or I will not find the strength to make it even that far.

I am having some hard times, some hard decisions  I am asked to keep loving someone even though it hurts.  I can't say I'm thrilled with heartache.  There's a part of me that just wants to sever all ties, to give up and run away.  But this pain will not last forever.  Its cause will pass.  Its wounds will heal.  Its memory will fade away like smoke.  The love I give is a picture of the love Christ gives me--even when I hurt Him.  I know that, I know that's why He doesn't want me to give up.  To give this love to another person, another soul, is to do something that will last into eternity.  It may not seem to have any immediate consequence.  It may seem like I'm doing it all for nothing, but God is not mocked (Galatians 6:7-10).  Things will change, and I will be rewarded.  The persistent sacrifices I make here will matter in eternity.

God help me to consider eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment