Sunday, August 7, 2011

Why I listen: A partial response to a fan of Kevin DeYoung's "Just Do Something"

This summer I've spent in conversational intimacy with God.  Now, as a new semester approaches, I face a choice of whether or not to let this go on.  Many people do not believe this kind of relationship with God is possible, some of my friends even.  Last fall, when I mentioned hearing from God on a particular decision, one of my friends, a leader in my church, told me that was not possible: God doesn't ever work that way, he said.  He pointed me to a book he'd read which explained why God didn't: Kevin DeYoung's "Just Do Something: a liberating approach to finding God's will."

Now, to be fair, this isn't what DeYoung's book says at all.  In fact, he devotes an entire chapter to making the point that, yes, God does sometimes work that way.  He is, after all, God and quite capable of doing whatever He pleases however He wants to do it.  The Bible abounds with examples of His talking to people, whether in conversational intimacy, through the mediation of prophets or angels, or by signs and wonders.  Kevin DeYoung is simply making the point that often Christians seek to hear God for the wrong reasons, especially in decision making, and that this makes such Christians very poor decision-makers.  For this reason, DeYoung advises Christians not to wait around listening for God to tell them what to do in every situation but rather to take advantage of scripture, Godly council, and prayer to make godly decisions with the resources God has already given them.  He doesn't say that God won't give special personal direction, nor does he say that Christians should never seek it.

My friend, however, would, and apparently gets his argument from this book.  In it, four basic reasons are cited for why Christians listen for God to speak into their decision-making process.  I want to see how these apply in my own life:

(1) We want to please God: No one will argue that this is a legitimate reason for doing something, though they may disagree with what it is we're doing.  In my own life, this is definitely a reason why I seek conversational intimacy with God and listen to Him in decisions.  I want to make sure I please Him in my decisions and my daily life.  Yet this is not (when I phrase it that way) the strongest reason why I do this.  I am not afraid that the decisions I make on my own (as it were) will be so horribly displeasing to Him.  After all, while I admit I'm a sinner, I know how to carry on a "normal" Christian life without special revelation to guide me.

(2) We are timid or cowardly: These are listed separately in the book, but lumping them together makes sense.  Basically, we hesitate and ask God because we're afraid of making the wrong decision or a decision that might get us hurt.  In regard to wrong decisions, this does relate to why I sometimes seek God.  I want to make sure I'm not about to screw up, but this, I find, is the wrong reason.  I should not be afraid of making mistakes, and I find that, looking back on my life and how God has used various events to lead me to where I am, sometimes He has used learning from my mistakes as a part of his will in my life.  Therefore seeking His will in order to avoid mistakes may not be effective.  It is particularly ineffective at avoiding a costly-but-right decision, however, as I will explain.

(3) We are searching for perfect fulfillment in life: that is, we try to listen for God in our decision-making because we believe God will lead us to a charmed life of all pleasure and no pain.  This, I can firmly say, is not a reason why I listen for God in my decisions, or seek intimacy with Him at all.  This myth (and the book is right in saying it is a myth) is firmly busted in my mind.  The Bible is clear that God uses hardship to refine us and that our enemies in this world will give us no rest if we follow Him.  That is something God reminds me of often, and often I find He is right.  What He directs me to do is often not easy and sometimes painful.  Sometimes, just relating to Him at all is painful.  There are wounds in my heart I would rather let lie: they don't hurt as much when they're festering.  God, however, is sure to bring them up and do some healing (which, until it's done, hurts like none other!).  This is not why I seek Him out.

(4) We have too many choices: that is, we listen to God because we're indecisive, waffling through too many options, and we want to use God as a device to simplify things and narrow down our options, or just plain make the decision for us because we're too lazy to do the dirty work.  I admit that sometimes I do use this as my reason for listening for God.  When I do, it is selfish and wrong...and He generally doesn't answer.

I find that, really, my main reason, the one that keeps me listening, the one that will keep me listening throughout the coming fall, is that I want God to have my heart.  I guess you could call this a subdivision of wanting to please Him, but it isn't as worded in the book.  I don't listen simply because I want the end decision to please God, I want the process to please Him.  More to the point, I want my heart during the process (and throughout daily life) to please Him.  Conversational intimacy with God has and does make me aware of His presence and sovereignty in my life as I wasn't previously.  That effects my heart.  It helps me give it to Him in the moment, whether He gives special direction or leaves the decision up to me (even when I listen, He does that sometimes).  I want to give my heart to Him, to love Him, and that is a Biblical command.  This intimacy with Him helps me to do that, and so I will continue to listen for His voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment