Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Some Good Fight Songs

These are some songs I've been singing recently.  They're good fighting songs for an underdog about to break loose.  They're good songs for me now dealing with my current enemy, and also some of them apply to the stories I'm writing...and also two of them are from RWBY, of which I am a fan!


This one is from Katie Perry, whom I don't usually listen to, but it applies very well to my current plight.  I am not a particular fan of the official music video, or the official lyric video, but all the fan-made versions keep getting taken down, so here are the lyrics:

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath,
Afraid to rock the boat and make a mess.
So I sit quietly,
Agree politely.
I guess that I forgot I had a choice.
I let you push me past the breaking point.
I stood for nothing,
So I fell for everything.

Chorus
You held me down, but I got up,
Already brushin' off the dust.
You hear my voice, you hear that sound,
Like thunder gonna shake your ground.
You held me down, but I got up.
Get ready 'cause I've had enough.
I see it all, I see it now,
I've got the eye of the tiger,
The fire, dancin' through the fire,
'Cause I am a champion,
And you're gonna hear me roar!

Now I'm floatin' like a butterfly,
Stingin' like a bee, I earned my stripes.
I went from zero,
To my own hero.
(chorus)

Always before when I was in conflict with this person I would act passively, hoping to bring about peace this way and, in many cases, wrongly believing that everything was actually somehow my fault.  I was scared to rock the boat and make a mess, so I would sit quietly and agree politely even to proposals of hers and others allied with her that I knew at the time were dead wrong.  My reward for trying so hard to be the nice guy?  She pushed me past the breaking point and held me down...but I got up.  And, in fact, I've had enough.  I am back now, stronger than ever, and I see it all much cleared than before...and she's gonna hear me roar.



Unfortunately for this one I wasn't able to find lyrics with the video, but here they are:
Come at me and you'll see
I'm more than meets the eye.
You think that you'll break me:
You're gonna find in time
You're standin' too close
To a flame that's burnin'
Hotter than the sun in the middle of July.
Sendin' out your army but you still can't win.

Listen up, silly boy, 'cause I'm gonna tell you why.
*Reprise*
I burn!

Can't hold me now,
And you got nothin' that can.
I burn!
Swing all you want.
Like a fever I'll take you down!


I have long expected that my enemy would make the first hostile move in turning our cold war into a more heated fight.  She has always, given my previous attempts at being overly nice, underestimated me and expected to break me, but she hasn't and if she comes at me this time, she'll see I'm more than meets the eye and that I am, in fact, prepared to take her down, if necessary.



This song, well, it's just epic!  It ought to be, really, since it's the theme from RWBY.  Did I mention I was a fan?

Here, too, you have the theme of being underestimated, a warrior who's about to surprise everyone by breaking loose in a revolution and not looking for absolution for standing up for what's right.  While I can't deny that I want a romantic life, a fairy tale that's full of charm (provided we define romantic and fairy tale in classically broad terms and not just flowers and roses and pink hearts), I understand I live in a world at war, a world in the way of harm where the light is fading and the dark returns.  In it, I hope to stand up as a defender of what is good and right, by the power of Christ, the great defender.

No comments:

Post a Comment